What Is An Internatonal Driving Permit?

Now Bateeilee Blog will share What Is an International Driving Permit?.An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a multiple-language document that verifies that you have a valid driver’s license. While many countries may not officially recognize your driver’s license, they will accept your valid U.S., Canadian or British license if you also carry an IDP. Some countries, such as Italy, require you to carry an official translation of your license if you plan to rent a car unless you hold a license from a European Union member nation. An IDP fulfills this requirement.

U.S. Application Procedures

In the United States, you can only obtain an IDP at Automobile Association of America (AAA) offices or by mail from the National Automobile Club (part of the American Automobile Touring Alliance) or AAA. These agencies are the only authorized IDP issuers in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of State.

Your International Driving Permit will cost about $15; you may also need to pay shipping costs if you apply by mail. To apply, simply download an application form from AAA or the National Automobile Club / AATA and complete it. Go to a photographer, such as your AAA office, pharmacy photo studio, or department store portrait center, and purchase two passport-sized photos. Don’t take these photos at home or in a coin-operated photo booth, because they will be rejected. Make a photocopy of your valid U.S. driver’s license. Mail your application, photos, license copy and fee to AAA or the National Automobile Club, or visit an AAA office to process your application.

Canadian IDPs

Canadian citizens can apply for International Driving Permits at Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) offices. The application process is similar; you’ll need two passport photos and a copy of the front and back of your driver’s license. You can mail your application or bring it to a CAA office.

Getting an IDP in the UK

In the United Kingdom, you can apply for your IDP in person at some post offices and at The Automobile Association’s Dover or Folkestone offices, or by mail to The AA. You will need to supply a passport photo with your original signature on the back, a copy of your driver’s license, pass certificate and provisional driver’s license, or DVLA confirmation, and a copy of your passport. You’ll also need to provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope and completed application form if you mail your IDP application. Fees vary depending on whether you apply in person or by mail.

If you're traveling within the European Union, you won't need an IDP.

The Fine Print

Be sure to read the fine print on your application form, processing agency’s website and rental car company website. Carefully examine the list of countries that accept the IDP; acceptance varies by destination country and by driver’s nationality. Check IDP requirements for all of your destination countries as well as for countries you might drive through.

Most importantly, don’t forget to bring your driver’s license on your trip; your IDP is invalid without it.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment